Hello, this is a subject that has been brought up a few times, but one I think is worth looking at again.
Creating a unified standard naming system for the searchkeys for all hotbars and macro.
Now first, the reason behind this. I know that many people love all the ui's that we have created over the last few years, both in beta and live. However, with so many using custom searchkey names, it makes it very difficult for anyone to switch UI's, have someone else log onto their account/character, GM's logging in to fix a problem, etc. When any of these things happen, the players loose their custom Macros.
, and one that has been discussed before, is coming up with a unified and standard for naming these searchkeys. This way, players will not loose their macros when switching UI's or accessing from another computer, or friends/family logging on when they have a different UI.
In addition.. IF we can come up with a standard for the searchkey names, we might be able to get (or at least open up discussion) with SOE to add in a set of extra searchkeys. This would be the second step once we can set up a standard based on the default. Granted this second step is more a wish list, but it could happen... IF we set up a standard.
By default the Hotbars are named as the following...
Now, if we could expand on that, we could set up a standard naming system that would follow that pattern.. so we would then have...
We can expand on that as well. Since many of us have additional hotbars that are not included in the standard horizontal or vertical layout. We have hotbars that extend out to G15, Healer Helper (or any variance of), Crafting.. and Im sure I am missing a few others.
Mind you, the following are only examples and not what they should be named. This is only to get a discussion set up and started. We could easily name them something as simple as the below for Group Healer bars
For the G15, Faded Hotbars and other similar we could set up something on the same lines but just add a new numerical value to it. An example would be...
Now, the nice thing about this is it would benefit the players greatly! Here are the pros and cons I see to us setting up a Standard for the naming of hotbar searchkeys...
1) Enable players NOT to lose their macors and skills when accessing their account from another computer
1) Enable players to NOT loose their macros and skills when friends or family log onto their account
3) No conflict between all the different custom UI's.. Players could switch between them, try out new ones, or switch based on their character and needs with out loosing macros and skills
4) Possibility of SOE (on a prayer) to set up additional searchkeys on the server so we do not loose out when GM's access characters to fix issues.
1) a bit of work to change over the names of searchkeys (about 30 minutes to 1 hour)
2) would require players to udpate their hotbar skills and macros (one last time)
The last Con can be bothersome perhaps to a few players, but who has not lost their macors when they had to reload the game, or had a Gm get on to fix a problem, or a friend or family member has logged on their account?
I think Con#2 is not that bad over all if it will prevent players from loosing their Macros in the future.
That is it from me right now.. let me know what you all think, and if you have any ideas or would like to set up a standard naming system for the searchkeys, please please post up and let us know what you think and your ideas.