VGInterface.com
Search Downloads

Go Back   VGInterface > General Discussion > Interface Help

Old 09-29-2008, 05:06 PM

Default Vista 64 - incompatible with custom interface

I have used a number of different custom interfaces (most recently Core UI3) with no problem under Vista 32 bit. After a system crash, I decided to take the plunge and install the 64 bit version. I reinstalled Vanguard in Programs/Sony and, using notepad running as administrator, edited vgclient.ini to change Shell=Default to Shell=CoreUI3. (The CoreUI3 folder had been added to VGUIAssets/Shells) When I ran the program again, Vanguard crashed hard. (I have the error logs, etc... if that might help). When I changed it back to Shell=Default, it ran just fine.

After reading some posts, I uninstalled Vanguard and reinstalled it in a different folder than Programs. Now I could edit vgclient.ini without administrative privileges (although shell=default was, oddly missing). When I added a shell=default, VG crashed again. If I removed it, Vanguard loaded just fine.

I have tried a different custom interface, with the same results.

My bottom line question is, does Vista 64 simply not work with custom interfaces for Vanguard? If it does, what do I need to do differently?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:44 PM
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotowolf
I have used a number of different custom interfaces (most recently Core UI3) with no problem under Vista 32 bit. After a system crash, I decided to take the plunge and install the 64 bit version. I reinstalled Vanguard in Programs/Sony and, using notepad running as administrator, edited vgclient.ini to change Shell=Default to Shell=CoreUI3. (The CoreUI3 folder had been added to VGUIAssets/Shells) When I ran the program again, Vanguard crashed hard. (I have the error logs, etc... if that might help). When I changed it back to Shell=Default, it ran just fine.

After reading some posts, I uninstalled Vanguard and reinstalled it in a different folder than Programs. Now I could edit vgclient.ini without administrative privileges (although shell=default was, oddly missing). When I added a shell=default, VG crashed again. If I removed it, Vanguard loaded just fine.

My bottom line question is, does Vista 64 simply not work with custom interfaces for Vanguard? If it does, what do I need to do differently?

Vista 64 definatly supports custom uis as I use vista64 and I am the current curator of CoreUI3

I think the most likely cause is that you need to give privalages to the vanguard folder. I forget if you needed to give it to all of them or only specific folders/files.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotowolf

Most likely you need to turn off UAC (User Account Control). This feature effectivly remove adminsitrator rights from an admin user. This setting also copies all the control files to a different location.

I know there are posts about this on the forums, I jsut do not know where they are.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Great to know it is at least possible.

I tried to change permissions for the Vanguard folder. No luck.
I disabled UAC, restarted and tried to run Vanguard with Shell=CoreUI3 and had the same crash. Should I uninstall Vanguard and reinstall it with UAC disabled?

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-30-2008, 12:50 AM

Shouldn't it be installed in "Programs (x86)", as this is where 32 bit programs go?

Switching off UAC is not a good idea securitywise. Just set vgclient.exe to "run as administrator". Try to add your own useraccountname to the Vanguard-folder under security and give it full access right, and tick the rule to inherit that for everything underneath.

Using Notepad++ left me with the original file instead of editing it, creating a second file being edited instead somewhere in my userhome. Turned out I either had to copy that file over or edit with Notepad.

One of the crashlogs in your Vanguard- or bin-folder should tell you the reason. It is probably that it could't find the CoreUI3-folder. Maybe because it is expected under "Programs (x86)".
Old 09-30-2008, 06:36 AM

I run Vanguard on Vista 64, but have installed the game into C:\Games\Vanguard

I must admit I always do this for all my games, stick them into C:\Games

What I did have to do with Vangaurd, was browse to the C:\Games folder and then right mouse click on the Vanguard folder and select Properties. Then click on the Securtity Tab accross the top, then highlight Users and click the Edit button. Once you've got the next window open, make sure that you have Users highlighted and Tick Full Control, then click Apply.

Now I have no problems with any of the UI's, or my G15 Keyboard Macro Buttons.

Also now I have full confidence that when an update happens and files are downloaded I know it has full rights to update any files that it needs.

Last edited by mattbell69 : 09-30-2008 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Careful bro..
Premium Member

Well i must say that disabling UAC is not that bad if you use firewalls antiviruses and stuff. Plus it just saves your nerves when yet another program or game gets screwed up cause of it.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 AM

I would just as soon not globally disable UAC, and when I did last night, it didn't solve the problem anyhow.

When I first re-installed VG after doing a clean install of Vista 64, the default location was Programs/Sony/Vanguard. It created a new folder in programs instead of the Programs (x86) folder. While there I needed notepad to run as an administrator to edit vgclient.ini so I uninstalled it and did a fresh install to a new folder I created C:/Games/Vanguard (same as Mattbell69).

After reading the most recent posts, I selected the Properties for the Vanguard folder and, under Security Tab-Edit I check the "full control" box for Users (and everyone else).

Still, Vanguard crashes if vgclient.ini has anything other than Shell=Default.

After the crash, Vanguard automatically created an error email I could send to Sony. I changed the address and here is some of the things it included. In the body of the email, it states:

an Access Violation (0xc0000005) occurred in module vgclient.exe trying to read from 0x00000290.

SGO Stack History:
VGUIChatWndManager::SetupDefaultChat <- VGUIXmlWinManager::loadXmlWindows

User Comments:

vgclient.exe (Build 2152.10) caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module vgclient.exe at 0x10b13b40 trying to read from 0x00000290.
Exception occurred at 9/30/2008 08:09:20
Running Time = 0 days, 00 hours, 00 minutes, 48 seconds

Application Specific Data:

SGO Stack History:
VGUIChatWndManager::SetupDefaultChat <- VGUIXmlWinManager::loadXmlWindows

Build: 280797636
Build Stamp: VANGUARD_BUILD_2152.10_9/24/2008 12:30:14 PM_RELEASE

CPU: AuthenticAMD @ 2312 MHz with 4093MB RAM

Video: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series (612)

Mem: Load=31, PK=502923264, WS=269012992, PF=344018944, V=-525074432/0

Player data:
Chunk = (0,0)
Location = (0.00,0.00,334.10)

Context:
EDI: 0x28a66740 ESI: 0x00000000 EAX: 0x00000000
EBX: 0x00000000 ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x00000000
EIP: 0x10b13b40 EBP: 0x0017fbdc SegCs: 0x00000023
EFlags: 0x00210246 ESP: 0x0017fb3c SegSs: 0x0000002b

[Stuff that seems to have worked deleted for space]

[09/30/08 08:08:38] INFO: Log: * * INITIAL LEVEL LOAD COMPLETE
[09/30/08 08:08:38] INFO: Init: Enumerating sound devices...
[09/30/08 08:08:38] INFO: Init: Found 1 audio devices:
[09/30/08 08:08:38] INFO: Init: Generic Software
[09/30/08 08:08:39] INFO: Init: ALAudio: subsystem initialized.
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Init: Input system initialized for WindowsViewport
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: Opened viewport
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: Attempting to set resolution: 1680x1050 (Fullscreen)
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Init: Best-match display mode: 1680x1050x32@60
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: Using 32-bit back-buffer format (22)
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: Using 32-bit depth-buffer format (75)
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: FSAA support: 6x. Floating-point FSAA: 6x.
[09/30/08 08:08:49] INFO: Log: Creating device
[09/30/08 08:08:50] INFO: Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: successfully created after 1 attempt(s).
[09/30/08 08:08:50] INFO: Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware transform and lighting.
[09/30/08 08:08:50] INFO: Init: D3D Driver: CreateDevice: will use hardware vertex processing
[09/30/08 08:09:19] INFO: Init: Game engine initialized
[09/30/08 08:09:19] INFO: Log: Startup time: 44.267000 seconds
[09/30/08 08:09:19] INFO: Init: Start SGOUI Init Start
[09/30/08 08:09:20] ERROR: XML Fatal Error: ..\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\SkinInfo.xml [0:0] - An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\Games\Vanguard\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\Ski nInfo.xml
[09/30/08 08:09:20] ERROR: XML Fatal Error: ..\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\SkinInfo.xml [0:0] - An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\Games\Vanguard\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\Ski nInfo.xml
[09/30/08 08:09:20] ERROR: XML Fatal Error: ..\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\Index.xml [0:0] - An exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message:The primary document entity could not be opened. Id=C:\Games\Vanguard\VGUIAssets\Shells\CoreUI3\Ind ex.xml
[09/30/08 08:09:20] FATAL: Exit: Executing UObject::StaticShutdownAfterError
[09/30/08 08:09:20] FATAL: Exit: Executing UWindowsClient::ShutdownAfterError
[09/30/08 08:09:20] FATAL: Exit: OpenAL Audio subsystem shut down.

And then, of course, "Boom!"

I appreciate the input and comments from everyone. I probably should be grateful than I can play the game at all under V64. If need be, I can just use the default interface, but I really like what CoreUI3 brought to the game. Any further suggestions comments, etc... are very much appreciated!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Ghost
VGInterface Super Mod

Location: Currently live in Alabama, though Michigan shall always be home.
Send a message via Yahoo to Sarrene

I have Vista Ultimate 64-bit and do not have a problem at all with custom interfaces.

Disabling the UAC is not that bad, so long as you do not use a local network and or remote access. (plus any decent firewall can help prevent anything bad from happening as well.)

Here are a few options though you can do:
There are several security settings that comeinstalled with Windows Vista that may need to be modified to allowVanguard to run without interference. Here are some things to try.

* Running as Administrator

1. Right click on the game's icon and go to properties
2. Go to the compatibility tab
3. Click on "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select XP Service Pack 2
4. Check "Run this program as administrator"

* To turn off UAC

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. In Control Panel, click User Accounts.
3. In the User Accounts window, click User Accounts.
4. In the User Accounts tasks window, click Turn User Account Control on or off.
5. If UAC is currently configured in Admin Approval Mode, the User Account Control message appears. Click Continue.
6. Clear the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box, and then click OK.
7. Click Restart Now to apply the change right away, or click Restart Later and close the User Accounts tasks window.

Sometimes DirectX 9.0c needs to be installed with DirectX 10. If you receive an error message that starts something like d3d.dll, then you will want to update to DirectX 9.0c. Please follow the instructions located on the website below to download and install DirectX 9.0c (August 2024 version):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en

To download click on where it says DirectX9.0c is here, the next page will validate if you have a Genuine copy ofWindows, Once verification completes, you will be allowed to download DirectX.Choose the option to save the file to your Desktop. To install theprogram, either double-click the icon once the download has finished,or click on "Open" on the confirmation window.

Once you are finished downloading and installing DirectX 9.0c, we strongly suggest you reinstall the most up to date video card drivers we support from our Knowledge Base:

http://help.station.sony.com/cgi-bi...hp?p_faqid=1809

Old 09-30-2008, 03:13 PM

Except for this one issue, Vanguard runs just fine for me on Vista 64. In fact, it is one of the few games I reinstalled that ran out-of-the-box without having to tweak the compatibility settings first. As long as Shell=Default in vgclient.ini, Vanguard purrs like a kitten (well, it is Vanguard, perhaps a kitten with a bad hairball).

However, when I edit vgclient.ini to read Shells=CoreUI3 (or any other custom interface) it crashes as described above. As soon as I edit vgclient.ini back to Shell=Default, it runs fine again.

I did try changing the compatibility settings as suggested and had the same results. <sigh>